Why is Hatred Not Treated Equally?
This might be a bit controversial. I'll own that. This past Saturday there were some horrendous hate crimes against Jews in Texas. To be clear, though, all hate crimes are horrendous and (in my humble opinion) should be treated the same. Yet, as more time passed on Saturday ---- then the hostages were released Saturday night --- and then onto Sunday, the only people I saw commenting about this were my fellow Jews. Sure, there was the lone politician here or there. But for the most part, aside from my fellow Tribe members, social media was pretty silent.
I thought back on the last 18 months. I can't even remember all of the incidents of hate crime --- against African Americans, against Latinos, against Muslims, against women, against LGBTQ, and against Jews. I remembered all of the people who posted and commented when terrible acts happened to other populations. And, rightfully so. But why weren't these same people who were appalled by other acts of hate crimes and racism and sexism not moved to comment.
I reached out to one of my friends who is a frequent social media commenter. In fairness to her she is a brand new mother and her attention is rightfully elsewhere. Yet, she took the time to thoughtfully respond. Her thought was that, perhaps, because so many Jewish people are considered "successful" and accepted by mainstream America that Jewish hate crimes don't necessarily register to them. She made the same comparison to the LGBTQ community. (It was also MLK's birthday this weekend, bringing attention to many hate crimes against the African American community.)
I am proudly both Jewish and LGBTQ. I am also college educated, have several advanced degrees, and have led a fairly privileged life. I own those things. But that doesn't mean that I have not become more and more frightened when traveling because of Israeli stamps on my passport on several Jewish tattoos proudly displayed on my body. I've actually, though I hate to admit it, started covering many of the tattoos depending on where I am, who I am with, and the situation. But people might not necessarily know I'm Jewish. They're more likely to know I'm LGBTQ based on my short hair and my adorable same-sex partner -- but they might not know for sure.
When hate crimes are directed at specific communities --- African-American, Latino, Muslim, etc. ---it's visible and evident to nearly every person capable of seeing. But this weekend's incidents weren't as visible. Several members of a small congregation in rural Texas were taken hostage during Shabbat services. The members and Rabbi were not visibly "different" from most members of society. I get that.
At the same time, though, I grew more and more upset as more time elapsed and it seemed that no one other than Jews were talking about it. Maybe I am so upset because I know that hate crimes, no matter the population they are directed towards, can't and shouldn't be tolerated. Maybe I'm naive, but I truly believe Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. would be the first person to say we have to stand up against ALL hate crimes.
What do you think?
Comments
Post a Comment